How to transfer airtime on MTN for the first time has been one of the most common questions new MTN users ask.
Not knowing the code to transfer airtime on MTN shouldn’t be intimidating as most people thought of it, for there are different ways it can be done.
But don’t worry, for I will explain in full detail how you can transfer airtime on MTN to MTN, and even to other networks.
Not only that, but I will show you how to get the MTN transfer code, how to reset the code and even the default pin for MTN airtime transfer.
Without further ado! Let’s get started!
How to Transfer Airtime on MTN for The First Time
Firstly, I’d advise you to change/reset your MTN transfer pin from the default pin to a new pin of your choice before sharing your airtime with your family and friends.
However, changing your MTN transfer pin is not mandatory and it doesn’t mean you can’t transfer airtime to another MTN subscriber. But you should take your time and reset it for your own good so as to avoid illegal and unauthorized airtime transfer.
Related: How to Transfer Airtime on Airtel
Default Pin for MTN Airtime Transfer
The only default pin for MTN Airtime Transfer is 0000. That is “FOUR ZEROS”
This default pin is automatically assigned to every new MTN SIM to transfer airtime.
MTN Transfer Code/Pin Reset
Now that you know why you should reset the default transfer pin or code (whichever way you call it), here are two simple ways to reset it.
MTN Transfer Pin Reset Via USSD
This reset method is a simple as dialing:
*600*Default Pin*New Pin*New Pin#
To make it simpler, here’s an example:
Say I want to reset my transfer pin and the new pin I decide to use is 1010. Then I will pick up my phone and dial:
And here we go! You have successfully changed your default transfer pin to a new one of your choice.
Please Note: Your new pin is the pin you will be using to transfer airtime to your loved ones from now on.
MTN Transfer Pin Reset Via SMS
The second option to reset your MTN transfer pin is via SMS popularly known as a text message.
First, take your phone and navigate to your message area, and create a new message using the format below 👇
Default pin[space]New pin[space]New pin, and send to 777 (in other words, Triple seven).
Let’s make it simpler with the following example using 1010 as my new pin:
0000 1010 1010
And send to 777
Once this is done, you will receive a notification message from MTN confirming your change of pin.
Now, let’s see how to transfer airtime on MTN for the first time.
Code to Transfer Airtime on MTN
The most beginner-friendly way to transfer airtime on MTN is via USSD, and it is as easy as:
- Dial *777#
- Select option “1” – Transfer Airtime
- Type the Recipient Number. (i.e the number you want to transfer your airtime to)
- Type the amount you want to transfer
- Enter your PIN (You can use your new transfer pin if you’ve already reset it. If not, use the MTN default transfer pin).
How to Transfer Airtime on MTN via USSD (New Method)
This is another simple and fastest method on how to transfer airtime on MTN.
Take your mobile device and dial; *600*Recipient’s phone number*Airtime amount*Transfer pin#
If you want to send N1000 to this MTN line 07066001100 using your new pin 1010 just dial;
Please keep in mind that a service fee will be charged.
How to Transfer Airtime on MTN via SMS
Sharing MTN airtime via SMS is one of the oldest and most popular methods to transfer airtime on MTN to another MTN line.
Here’s how to do it.
To transfer credit from MTN to MTN line via SMS, navigate to the message on your mobile device and create/type a new message in this format;
Transfer [space] Recipient’s phone number[space]Airtime amount [space] Transfer pin. And send to 777.
Transfer 07066001100 1000 1010 then send it to 777.
After sending you’ll receive a message telling you to confirm the transfer, just reply to the message with YES to 777.
And that’s it! Your request to transfer airtime to another MTN line is successful!!!
How to Get a New MTN Transfer Pin/Code
To get MTN transfer pin, simply navigate the message area of your mobile device, > create a message and type in this format; Old pin or Default pin[space]New pin[space]New pin. And send to this MTN number 777.
For Example: Say I want to change my personal pin from 1010 to a new pin 3030. Then, my message will be written like this; 1010 3030 3030. And send to 777
How to Transfer Airtime from MTN to MTN Without PIN
Oh! You don’t have a personal MTN transfer pin?
Here’s how to transfer airtime from MTN to MTN without a pin.
Take your mobile device and dial; *600*Recipient’s phone number*Airtime amount*0000#
For example; Say you want to transfer N1000 to this MTN line 07066001100. Just dial;
MTN Airtime Transfer Charges
N1 – N100 transfer will cost you N3
N101 – N500 transfer will cost you N5
N501 – 5000 transfer will cost you N10
MTN Share – More things to know
- You can transfer up to ₦100,000.00 daily from your mobile to either a single or multiple MTN accounts every day.
- The maximum number of airtime transfer per day is unlimited.
- Transmission in airtime is chargeable.
- You can only charge a maximum of N10 per transfer.
- The minimum amount that can be transferred is N50.
- If your MTN prepaid account does not have sufficient airtime to cover the transfer amount you requested, the transaction will not be completed and you will receive an error message.
- You can only transfer airtime from MTN to MTN. That means you can’t transfer airtime from MTN to Glo, or MTN to Airtel.
- The default PIN is 0000 or 0000, depending on how many digits you need.
- You can only transfer an amount to Naira, not to kobo, i.e. you can transfer 99.00 NGN, but not 99.50 NGN.
- You can transfer between 50.00 NGN – 5,0000.00 NGN in one transaction.
- If you are a subscriber with a paid subscription, you can only transfer airtime if your account is positive. You cannot transfer airtime if your account is negative (-). For example, if your balance is N-300.00.
- If you are a postpaid customer, you will only be able to transfer airtime when your account is in positive. You will not be able to transfer airtime when your account is negative (-). For example, if your account balance is N-300.00. You will not be able to use MTN Share. On the other hand, if your account balance is N1,000.00 you will be able to transfer airtime up to the available N1,000.00 in your account.
How to Transfer Credit on MTN – FAQs
How can I share airtime on MTN?
To share airtime on MTN, simply navigate to the dialer app on your phone and dial *600*Recipient’s phone number*Airtime amount*Transfer pin#.
How do I transfer airtime to another number on MTN?
To transfer airtime to another number on MTN, simply go to the messaging App on your phone and create a new message in this format; Transfer [space] Recipient’s phone number[space]Airtime amount [space] Transfer pin. Then, send to 777.
Can I send airtime to another number on MTN?
Yes. With MTN Share, you can easily send share and transfer airtime or credit to another MTN number.
How to transfer MTN credit to another MTN number?
To transfer MTN credit to another MTN number, simply open the dialer app on your phone and dial *600*Recipient’s phone number*Airtime amount*Transfer pin#.
How do I activate my MTN transfer?
You can activate your MTN transfer by simply dialing *600*0000*New Pin*New Pin# OR send a text message to 777 by writing 0000 (space) your New Pin Number (space) Enter the Pin Number again.
The MTN network has made it very easy for its subscribers to share the love amongst each other by sharing and transferring airtime.
If you’re a newbie that has been struggling with how to transfer airtime on MTN for the first time, I very much guarantee you that the information this post conveys will help you out.
Do you still have questions concerning this article?
Then feel free to leave your questions and thoughts right below in the comments section, for I will be very much glad to render my assistance.