With the 4G LTE SIM now being the talk of the town, you’d probably been searching for how to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G if you’re an MTN network customer using 3G.
I guess you know that there’s more to enjoy in the 4G LTE world than what you’re getting with a 2G or 3G SIM, especially on the MTN network.
Although, with a relatively slow spread of the MTN 4G network across the country, a lot of people are yet to know how to upgrade their 2G and 3G SIM to 4G.
If you’re one of them, then keep reading for in this post, I’ll answer your questions; “how to upgrade my MTN SIM to 4G”.
Not only that, but I will also show you the benefits of MTN 4G, how to know if your phone is 4G ready, how to know if your current SIM is 4G, and most importantly, a step-by-step process on how to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G.
Without further ado, let’s dive straight in!
What is MTN 4G LTE?
The MTN 4G LTE is the new generation wireless communication technology that offers high-speed internet connection for mobile devices and data terminals.
4G means fourth (4th) generation, while LTE means Long Term Evolution. That’s SIM means the MTN 4G SIM is the 4th generation wireless network that is here to stay even if 5G is launched.
The MTN 4G network delivers speeds up to 100 Mbps, which means with a 4G SIM, internet connection is super fast compared to using 3G or 2G which may take forever to load a webpage.
With a faster download, connection, and overall good browsing experience, the MTN 4G network is currently the best network signal in Nigeria.
Before showing you how to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G, I’d like to enlighten you with more of the benefits of MTN 4G LTE.
Also Read How to Upgrade Airtel SIM to 4G & Get 7GB Bonus
Benefits of MTN 4G SIM
We all hear that getting the MTN 4G is great especially if you want a faster browsing experience, but that’s not close to all the benefits you get from the MTN 4G LTE network.
Let’s see why you should upgrade to the MTN 4G SIM now.
- Free 4G SIM Upgrade (at no extra cost)
- A reliable super-fast browsing experience
- Free 4GB Data bonus upon activation (valid for seven (7) days)
- Double Data bonus offer on every data purchased for the first three (3) months of SIM upgrade.
- Additional 25% bonus data for 4- 6 months after the SIM Upgrade.
- Plus 25% bonus data on all purchased data plans for existing 4G users on the network.
Those (above) are the benefits of upgrading to the MTN 4G LTE network. Now, let’s see the MTN requirements for SIM upgrade to 4G.
Read Also: How to Upgrade Glo SIM to 4G and Get 10GB Bonus
What is Needed to Upgrade an MTN SIM to 4G?
Before upgrading your MTN SIM, you need to know what MTN SIM upgrade requirements are so as to make the upgrade process easier.
Below are the requirements for MTN 4G SIM upgrade.
- A valid ID card
- A working National Identification Number (NIN)
- The current MTN SIM you’re using (3G or 2G)
- Birth Certificate may be required
These are all that will be required of you when you want to upgrade your MTN SIM from 3G to 4G, or 2G to 4G. Now, let’s see how to upgrade your MTN SIM to 4G from 3G, and/or 2G.
Don’t Miss The Best MTN Tariff Plan for Data and Calls
How to Upgrade MTN SIM to 4G
Follow the easy step-by-step guide below to upgrade your MTN SIM to 4G.
- First of all, check your SIM to find out if it is compatible with the 4G LTE by texting 4G to 131 via SMS; You will get a reply that will tell you if your SIM is compatible or not. If it is, then proceed to the next step.
- Back up your contact.
- Now, Visit any nearby MTN Service Centre with a valid National ID.
- Request for a SIM upgrade
- Submit your old SIM
- Answer some basic questions and fill out the SIM upgrade form given to you.
- You will be issued a new MTN 4G SIM.
- Insert the new SIM in your phone, restart and enjoy a faster browsing experience with a free 4GB activation data bonus.
Those are simply the steps needed to be taken to upgrade your MTN 4G SIM. Therefore, that (above) has answered your question; how to upgrade my MTN SIM to 4G.
However, it is ideal that you know if your device supports 4G before you upgrade your SIM. Let’s see how to do that below.
Check Out The MTN Data Cheat Code to Get 120GB FREE
How to Know If Your Phone Supports MTN 4G
Although you may be able to enjoy the 4GB free data bonus, 2X data offer on data purchase, and 25% data bonus, you may not be able to enjoy the super fast browsing which is the main feature of MTN 4G SIM if your phone is not 4G compatible.
That’s why it’s good to make sure your phone supports 4G before upgrading your SIM.
You can do that by gently following the steps below.
- Navigate to the settings app on your phone
- Click on the Network & Internet option
- Now, click on Mobile Network
- Then, click on Preferred Network Type, and a pop-up containing the list of the network types supported by your phone will appear on your screen; If you see 4G, that means your phone is compatible with the MTN 4G SIM.
Alternatively, you can use your browser to figure out if your phone supports 4G. This can be done by searching for the device model specifications on the internet.
If you see 4G on the “Network” options, that means you can use the MTN 4G SIM on your phone.
You Must Read The MTN Double Data Code [Up to 50GB FREE]
How to Know If Your MTN SIM is 4G
In a case where you’re confused about whether your SIM is 4G or not, or maybe you want to confirm if the SIM issued to you at the MTN service center is truly 4G, you can check it on your phone by following the simple instruction below.
- Open the messaging app on your phone and text 4G to 131
- Then, you’ll get an instant reply telling you if it is 4G or not.
MTN 4G LTE – FAQs
How can I upgrade my MTN SIM to 4G?
You can upgrade your MTN SIM to 4G by simply visiting a nearby MTN service center with your National ID card, requesting for SIM upgrade, then submitting your old SIM and you’ll be given a new 4G MTN SIM card.
How to upgrade MTN sim to 4G at home?
Checking if your SIM and phone are 4G compatible is the only SIM upgrade process on how to upgrade MTN SIM at home. So, to fully upgrade your SIM, you’ll need to visit an MTN service center.
What is the code to upgrade MTN sim to 4G?
The code to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G only works to check if your SIM is 4G compatible. After dialing the code, you’ll need to visit an MTN service center to proceed with the upgrade.
How to upgrade my MTN sim to 4G online?
You can only upgrade your MTN SIM by visiting an MTN store or service center. MTN 4G SIM upgrade can’t be done online.
How do I upgrade MTN 3G to 4G?
You can upgrade your MTN SIM 3G to 4G by visiting a nearby MTN store, or service center with your National ID card, requesting for SIM upgrade, then submitting your 3G SIM and you’ll be given a new 4G MTN SIM card.
How much will I pay to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G?
4G SIM upgrade on MTN is totally free. No fee is required to upgrade your MTN SIM to 4G.
How long does it take to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G?
Just minutes. However, in some cases where there’s a bad network, it may take hours or even days to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G.
With tons of benefits including fast internet connection and free data bonuses, the MTN 4G LTE is here to stay and is providing users with a better browsing experience.
With this detailed guide about the MTN 4G SIM, I believe I have answered your questions about the 4G SIM on MTN, and you’ve known how to upgrade to MTN 4G SIM.
If you still have questions, do not hesitate in dropping them in the comment box below, I’ll be glad to help if it is about how to upgrade MTN SIM to 4G.